Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Death Panels" and other Health Reform Myths

Recently, there has been a lot of talk about things like "death panels" and euthanasia in the health reform bill. While I do not fully support this bill, I do think that things like this are ridiculous. Whether or not you believe them, I want to be the first to explain them to you in hopes that when you later hear them, you will not believe them.

Let's start with a big one. Death panels. The idea is that there is a part of the health reform bill that says that any person has to come before a panel who will judge them on whether or not to receive health care. In some instances, people say that can force euthanasia on someone who they believe is unfit for society. Sarah Palin has said, "The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's "death panel" so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their "level of productivity in society," whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil." Of course this system would be downright evil and for that reason it does not exist. There is nothing on the health reform bill that even comes close to something like that. It does make a great plot for a science fiction novel, but other than that it's garbage.

Another big issue is the supposed forced euthanasia to person past of age of 75. This is not true at all, but the myth got it's roots from facts in the health reform bill. The bill says that persons above the age of 75 have the choice to consult with a medical professional and receive euthanasia. This is a big difference from saying someone over the age of 75 who has been deemed unfit must die. That is a complete myth and is almost as ridiculous as the death panels. There are probably more myths that I'm missing from this post, but instead I will included the link to www.whitehouse.gov/realitycheck This site includes videos that debunk the health care myths and show what the bill really says. I encourage you o visit it if you have anymore health care questions.

9 comments:

  1. I'll agree that there are many, many misconceptions about the healthcare bill. But I think there is something to this 'others choosing for us.' I think it will get to be like in the UK, where a man was told he couldn't get care for his foot because he was a smoker. Yeah, that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Liberty on this, but I don't think anyone should really be given the choice of a euthanasia. It is like assisted suicide. I say let God decide when we die, not ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Euthanasia is like assited suicide and sometimes when the pain gets to unbearable, it is necessary. Why not follow my blog? It would make it easier to follow posts? (I know I sound desparate, but you can't blame me)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm divided on the issue of euthanasia, mainly because I've never studied it. My mom bought a book (75% off, she couldn't resist) called 'Arguing Euthanasia.' It's a pro-euthanasia book, but it will probably be quite informative. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS- I'm following your blog now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Thanks for following! I follow your's too, even though I have only commented a view times. Sorry, but I'm not great at commenting. Personally, I am for euthanasia. I always think it's sad when you've got a kid or someone who's dying of cancer and is begging to be taken off the medicine, and the government won't allow it because they're a minor. Another time is when people have been in comas for years and are running up huge health bills along with their family not being able to take home their body. In those cases, after a certain period of time, I would go ahead and let the family decide what they wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I hardly ever post anymore. >.< I just haven't had the inspiration to post. XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Alex. And I definitely respect that even though you don't support the health care reform, you're willing to defend the truth. That's an admirable characteristic no matter where it is.

    I have not even heard the rumors about death panels, but I don't think they're true. They might have roots, but most likely they're parts of the reform that I support, because I don't support the whole reform. I very much doubt that America would refuse to help a dying man because he smokes. There are some parts of the reform that might cause problems like that to a much less degree, but America would never refuse to save a dying man.

    And I don't understand how Sarah Palin can say that about our reform, while America's previous care involves only the rich receiving health care. It definitely has its problems, but it's an improvement.

    Sorry this comment is so long. I am still divided about assisted suicide or euthanasia. But I think I understand that choice, because elderly people might be living a life of pain and loneliness, and it ends there. I do want to research it more, to make sure it wouldn't involve the emotional loss of family members or anything like that. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! There are also myths like rationing health care or having to which doctors that are not true and explained in the vieo link I posted. I'm much more pro-euthanasia. i think there are a variety of circumstances where it is accpetable, and personally, I believe that life is precious, but a person's own choice. If we don't help them humanely, they will do it to themselves. It's just that simple. Thanks for the comment, and really son't care about length.

    ReplyDelete